Home Educating - what’s your thoughts?

 This may become a mini series as I document and share our new lives here, 

For a long while I felt that my children going to school just wasn’t sitting right, they were stressed, anxious and when ever I would ask what have you learnt today I got the usual meh or “I can’t remember” or it was something that I just felt was not important enough to have a “lesson” about! 

I have strong views about the education system and I know I would likely annoy some people with my views and opinions so I will hold back on those (at the moment ) but regardless school does not sit right with my soul so I done the best thing by my children and De-registered them. 

I can Honestly say it’s the best thing I have ever done a huge relief weight lifted from our shoulders, I also am a little sad and feel guilty that I just didn’t do it sooner, after all 3 have settled beautifully with no strops, no anxious lashing out, calmer happier and in general learning a lot more than they have ever done in school I honestly do think I should have followed my heart years ago. 

Life lessons once a week, Learning about budgeting, value of money and cooking, they will decide a dinner to make we then have to go to our local shop find the ingredients and stay in our budget before cooking up a storm in the kitchen.

A little bit of science fun here with our ‘egg-speriment’ 
Using different materials to surround our egg to see how best it is protected when dropped, this took half a day would you believe, they drew designs planned on what materials to use they had so much fun. 

I source all of our work using a few different sites (let me know if you are interested I will be happy to do a more in depth post with links) we are non curriculum home ed based meaning we will not be following the school systems learning ethic, we do more of a child led learning giving them more range of topics interests which in turn leads to a less stressful learning sessions. 



Cooking lessons, they are confident now in bread making, meat balls is one of their favourites too.

We have done topics like The Romans a more in depth learning of them too, Viking’s how they lived the jewellery they would wear what they were made from we even made some ourselves, we have covered many topics and more to come which includes a full science week next week lots of fun mess and experimenting will all be in full swing. 

I was so sad when I learnt about the lessons my children were being given and was gob smacked at the lack of Knowledge in their education, quick example my son is 14 in a few months and had never read poetry never looked at it and to write in sentences apparently was non existent, his English work was so poor and was evident there was no real learning going on! 

Nature walks are a favourite with us all, learning about the early signs of spring, the different types of trees and how to identify trees by the buds, they have found use of wild garlic rose hips and haws too.

Get those old wallpaper rolls out! They make for some great art and craft time, they enjoyed making their spring banner, they added in some snow drops and daffodil flowers that they seen whilst on their spring watch walk. 

We always turn to nature because there is just so much to learn! They have started to identify birds from their songs and calls and even know what areas to look to find a certain type of bird, they are learning herbology too which is so much fun! 

Since home education commenced I’m super happy to see massive improvements on all of their work and can honestly say even on days where I was doubting my decision I’m so happy we pulled out of school and jumped into home ed it’s paying off and not just learning, but personally for each of them we are seeing their strengths, we are seeing them grow and it is a sight I wish I hadn’t waited as long to see. 

If you are thinking of home educating I would sincerely urge you to do it! 

The education system is broken and I just don't see it being fixed any time soon, 

If you are questioning it take some time to find out what they are learning in classes because I do think a lot of people would be shocked, we need to take back control, we need to give children the life skills as well as knowledge that is non existent in schools now, I feel schools are more of a concentration camp for kids! Taught to think one way behave one way all so the masses are kept in control of, we have a system that does not really care about the children, schools should be helping children to find their strengths and embrace them instead they get told to sit down shut up and copy from the board! 

Not in this house hold! 

They are very free spirited and they will embrace their creativity, they will know that education is not about sitting in a class being spoken at! 

They will know they can be free thinking, have ideas, use their imagination without being told it’s silly or impossible! 

How do you feel about home education? 

Would you consider it? 

More to come on this, I’m just getting started.

Enjoying the weekend before we get back to learning, creating and having fun. 

Hannah. X


Comments

Most Popular Posts